2. By car
- Greece: Thessaloniki – 300 km; Kavala – 315 km
- Macedonia: Skopje – 250 km
- Romania: Bucharest – 380 km
- Serbia: Belgrade – 400 km; Nis – 170 km
- Turkey: Istanbul – 550 km
3. By bus
Flixbus and other bus companies offers cheap round trip travels from:
- Hungary: Budapest – 40 €
- Romania: Timisoara – 40 €; Bucharest – 20 €
- Serbia: Belgrade – 50 €
- Turkey: Istanbul – 50 €
Transport within Sofia
1. Public transport – Use the metro, we recommend it!
Night milongas venue is located right at metro station “James Bourchier” /2 min/. Daily milongas venue is located at metro station “Serdika”. Both stations are at the same metro line, 3 stops from each other. Ticket for metro is 0.80€.
By bus: We do not recommend this option. Price is same as the metro and is much more complicated and slower.
2. From the airport to the centre
From Terminal 2 – Metro Station “Sofia Aiport” to “Serdika” Station; At Serdika Station metro lines connect so you can change lines for “James Bourchier” station; from Terminal 1 take a shuttle bus to Terminal 2;
Here is a metro map:
Initial charge – 0.40€ + 0.40€ per km. It’s cheap, so we recommend you to use taxi.
Cost of taxi travel from the airport to the center of the city is around 6€. Look for the main company outside – “Okay supertrans” taxi. Price per kilometer shall be under 1 BGN. If it is above 1 BGN, then this is a cheat taxi. Don’t worry very much if you catch such a taxi – it is still safe, but the cost will be double. Even if you mistake the company, the maximum possible price will be around 10€.
Cost of taxi from the center to the night milonga venue is around 3-4€.
4. If you come by car
If you are coming by car and staying at the center of the city, mind that there is a vignette sticker for the roads and paid zone for parking in the center.
– There is a “weekend vignette sticker” active from 12:00 on Friday till 23:59 on Sunday, which costs 5€ . If you cannot fit into these hours, vignette sticker for 1 week is 7.50€, you can buy it from every gas station or online: https://web.bgtoll.bg/. One liter of gas here costs around 1.10€
– For parking in the center of Sofia there are two zones – Blue and Green zone. Look for the signs of the zones.
– Blue zone is active Monday to Friday from 08:30- 19:30 and Saturday from 08:30-18:00 h. It costs 2 BGN (1€) per hour and in order to pay, you have to send SMS to number 1302, text – license plate of the car.
– Green zone is active Monday to Friday from 08:30- 19:30. It costs 1 BGN (0.50€) per hour and in order to pay, you have to send SMS to number 1303, text – license plate of the car.
– If you don’t pay your car might be locked and moved to a public parking, then you will have to pay a fee and put yourself into administrative complications.
– Next to the night milongas venue there is green zone. Next to the daily milongas venue there is blue zone, also green zone. Below you can find a map of the paid zone and also a picture of the signs for blue and green zone. You can pay with SMS or buy a ticket from the nearest local shop/offices (cabins) of the local Urban Mobility Center.
Attachment of the blue/green zone map and the signs:
Look for the green zone, which is free on Saturdays.
More useful info about Sofia you can find here.